Health Tip - 10 ways to buy a good protein powder
1. Never buy a protein powder without an amino acid profile.
Amino acids are the building blocks of protein and the profile tells use if the protein is good or not. If a company leaves the amino acid profile off the bottle its because it would show that the product isn't very good.
2. If a protein has a proprietary blend then you have no idea how much of the ingredients are in it.
3. If the protein is advertised as keto remember that protein always converts to glucose not ketones
4. If you are buying a animal based protein question the sourcing of the animals
5. Avoid products that focus your attention more on diets and lifestyles than on the specifics of what is in the product they are selling
6. Be skeptical of DR. Proteins as practicing medical doctors don't normally have time to sell protein powders, many of these Dr's are not medical doctors
7. Use generally accepted protein sources some companies sell powdered broth as a protein- this is a legal loop hole as broth technically contains amino acids but not a complete essential amino acid profile ( see #1)
8. Be a ware of high prices products that include Free Books that are nothing more than marketing materials about their products as this is a deceptive way to increase "value" without actually giving anything more than advertising.
9. Look at the quality of ingredients and flavors - some companies sell Cocoa instead of cacao to flavor their chocolate proteins - this a cheap low quality flavor. remember that all kinds of things are legally considered "natural" that doesn't mean that they are healthy. cocoa is a good tell about the quality of other ingredients.
Some companies will add things like ashwaganda to most of their product to make health claims on the bottles and get around restriction.
Of coarse if a protein say one thing on the front of the bottle like organic bone broth protein and the first ingredient on the back is organic chicken protein this would be an obvious deception as chicken bone broth and chicken meat are very different.
10. Be careful about products awarded buy the supplement industry as these products are top sellers it does not necessarily mean they are top quality.
Check the facts and buy intelligently
remember that protein that has been powdered was designed by body builders to spike insulin and shuttle the amino acids to the muscle quickly so a low amino acid protein powder taken away from weight lifting will only spike insulin and feed your fat instead of your muscle even if the protein is deceptively marketed as muscle builder.
I personally recommend Garden of Life - grass fed Whey - sourced from grass fed cows and a great amino acid profile
I take this strategically after I lift to fuel muscle
Rob Alexander is on a journey to learn not just about health but everything else.
This website does not provide medical advice.
The information, including but not limited to text, graphics, images and other material contained on this website are for informational purposes only. The purpose of this website is to promote broad consumer understanding knowledge of various health topics. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified Health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website.